Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Too Much Too Many

Today we made it out. We ventured out to Three Lakes Park with a packed lunch, scooters, water bottles and a rested baby brother in tow. Previously, we had made no bake energy balls, cleaned up our rooms, switched the laundry three times and even made chili for dinner. Today was not some magical out of the ordinary productive day. It was, in fact, quite a normal tuesday, where the twins do not have preschool, Luke takes a morning nap, and then we head out to a park or museum until Luke's afternoon nap and the big boys return from school. Today was full, took effort, and did not allow for much breathing room if everything that needed to happen was going to happen. That feels hard to me. I feel under water with the tasks at hand. Caring for my home - and i don't mean making it amazingly clean or organized or decorated - i mean very basic tasks like taking out the trash, throwing away the very rotten cantaloupe that somehow stayed on the counter for two too many days, cleaning up after Luke knocks everything off his high chair tray, are becoming less and less attainable. One thing leads to the next and before you know it, my house is a full on wreck. More than messy, its dirty, dishes are everywhere and knowing where to start seems like climbing Mt. Everest. And, then there is the task of actually parenting, and parenting well, my children. Speaking life into their little hearts, teaching them how to have self control, and personal responsibility takes emotional effort that I sometimes don't have when I have been trying to remember if the uniforms for tonight's games are washed, if I wrapped that birthday present, if I even have anything prepped for dinner. Whew. That was yesterday's reality. The reality of so much responsibility, so much work, so much to do and so little energy to get it done. My children do help around the house and would certainly tell you that they have more chores than any of their friends but they are also little. Their help is appropriate and I'm grateful for it. But, right now, I'm swamped. I'm in over my head. And, there I was swamped, in over my head, sitting on our back yard bench as my kids played in what could only be called a mud bath after they had just eaten ice cream - yes ice cream - for lunch after informing me that they had, in fact, not even eaten breakfast. Really? I said. No breakfast. Huh? How'd that happen? There we were, 11am eating ice cream for lunch and my ability to care at a big fat zero. But, I did care. I do care. I care so much that I broke down in tears knowing how helpless I was in that moment to do any of the things that I deemed necessary to care for those things entrusted to me. The task felt too big. The house felt too big. The yard felt too big. The kids seemed too many. I can't tell you that I had some amazing moment this morning where I realized that God is in control and He is going to see me through it. Although I know that to be true, I don't necessarily feel it. But, as I cried on the phone to my cousin, she reminded me that our home and our children were made in love and love is what would see us through. It is a lot. It is too much. But, my circumstances are not changing so I must figure out how to love where I am, be grateful for what I have, and leave everything else in the dust - or mud pool, if the twins will let me. I must dig deep, trust that God knows my family better than me and when I feel like the least capable person to care for them well, He see what I cannot see. He knows their needs, He knows my heart, and will knit us all tightly together in love. That is my prayer. That, and maybe for another au pair! 

No comments:

Post a Comment