Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pushing Back On More


If only I had more time, if only I had more money, if only I lost more weight. I catch myself thinking "if only" phrases much too often. But lately, as I have been more conscience of my failure to be satisfied with what I have and where I am in life, I have begun to push back on desiring anything more than what I have. I heard today that our society and generation is being marked by quick fixes and immediate gratification. Our society wants everything fast and has believed that we "can have it all" with no sacrifices. Well, that just is not true and I want to continue to mature in my belief that I do not want it all. I want to want exactly what I have now and enjoy each drop of joy that comes. In fact, I really love my life. Yes, today I did get peed on by my 14 month old but in general life is great. I can work from home when he naps, I get to play on a volleyball team, relax at home with my son while he plays, and well, let's face it, write this blog. And, not that I want my life to always be comfortable or easy for I would not characterize it as such since I live in the inner city of Richmond and work for a ministry here that faces the harsh realities of the urban poor (not to mention raise my son!) but I would like a simplicity about it that is dunked so deeply in satisfaction for exactly where God has me now. It is easy to see that now. I have a one year old, a great little house to care for, and a very appreciative husband. But, that could all change quickly....more children, more demands in the neighborhood, more home to care for if we ever move, more, more, more. I want to be able to resist that temptation for something new to always be happening. How do I balance that with my desire for growth, education in new areas, and improvement? As I go, friends, please help me to resist the "if onlys" and remember the belly laughs of my son, the quiet hours when he naps, and the fun nights out with my husband, even if they are watching a movie on our laptop in the backyard to save money.

No comments:

Post a Comment