Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Dad's 63rd Birthday

Today, my sweet dad would have turned 63. I think of all the things he would have loved to do to celebrate another year. This weekend, my heart and mind have been attuned to all the things he would have enjoyed with my crew and all the ways my heart breaks wishing he were here.

We sweated like crazy at Callaway’s tball game yesterday where I was able to explain the game of baseball to Mills and Lindley better than most parents. Thanks to dad’s desire to teach of a love of the game, baseball had been ingrained from an early age.

I jammed my toe badly at the start of the weekend and Henry stepped right up as the “doctor in the house.” He cleaned my wound, made sure I didn’t pass out, and even helped bandage me up. I headed into the doctor this am to get it checked out as it is not healing well. The last time I hurt it this badly, I was in high school and dad took care of it right in our kitchen with some pliers and a lot of paper towels.

My big boys have their first swim team meeting this afternoon for our local pool. Story goes that dad threw me in as a toddler and I popped right up and was able to swim. I’m not sure on the validity of the story, but my love of the water has never waivered. He would be so proud to see the boys swim this summer.

At a birthday party yesterday, Lindley chowed down on a huge piece of cake and said “Daddoc would have really liked this cake, mama.” She doesn’t know that he really didn’t prefer chocolate cake and would have picked Bryer’s Vanilla Bean as his dessert of choice. It is still my top choice.

I made a huge breakfast yesterday morning after waking up thinking of him. I toasted the entire bag of English muffins and covered them this jelly just the way he would have on Christmas morning. Mom could never make enough of those for him.

My baby boy is moving, turning, and flipping inside of me these days and nights. I worry about his final positioning and just this weekend have started wearing some belly wraps/binders to keep him in a good place. I wish Dad could tell me it would all be ok. He could remind me that babies find their way and that labor will go just fine.


A cardinal just landed outside of my sunporch. I know he is here with us in so many ways. I miss him so. Happy Birthday Dad. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment