Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Cathedraled Life

You wrote no lofty poems

That critics counted art,

But with a nobler vision

You lived them in your heart.

You carved no shapeless marble

To some high soul design,

But with a finer sculpture

You shaped this soul of mine.

You built no great cathedrals

That centuries applaud;

But with a grace exquistite

Your life cathedraled God.

Thomas Fessenden wrote this poem hopefully for his mother. I wonder if my son and other future children will feel the same way about my life.

Recently, my best friend and neighbor have been considering starting a Classical Christian school for our children (when they are of age) and for the other children in our inner city neighborhood. There is currently a Classical Christian school in Richmond, called Vertias. It is however, located 20 minutes away and is quite expensive. I know that my child's education would be worth that but there are other things to consider since committing to living in Church Hill and desiring growth and change for this neighborhood as well. Is it fair that since my husband has a successful career we can afford this school? Is it fair that I have a car and am able to stay at home with my son to transport him to school and be involved during the day? What about the many families that I would be driving away from each morning as they walk to one of the public schools in our area.

Many people who are familiar with classical education (if not, check out http://www.welltrainedmind.com/classical-education/) are skeptical that this could be successful in an inner city environment even with middle class educated families supporting the movement. However, after researching, there is a school that has both low, middle, and high income students from varying ethnic backgrounds. It is called Logos Academy in York, PA (www.logosyork.com). I am going with my family and my neighbors, Beth and Chris, to visit this school in May. It was started by two moms with young children who wanted a Biblical and rigorous education for their children and for all those around them.

I struggle with the idea of starting another school. Being a part of starting Church Hill Academy, an intervention high school for our neighborhood teens, I know the committment that it takes to start something and the lasting committment that it continues to take to make it a success. After having my son, I decided to stay home with him and work from home for CHAT. How do we, as moms, reckon with caring for our families, children, and homes while wanting to help those children around us who do not have the same advantages like the option to even stay home.

But not only the time committment of starting another school is to be considered. What about pursuing greatness in the schools that are already exist? Assisting the public school teachers, teaching there, and sending our children there. There are many families in Church Hill who are committing to this model. Growing up in NC, parents were just like those families. They, along with other families, committed to the public school system. We attending K-12 in the public school system, they ran the PTA, raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for the schools, and supported their efforts in any way possible. At this point, however, that is not the education I would want for my children. The mind has a great capacity that I believe a classical education will challenge and enlighten his ability to think critically and communicate ideas. This does not lessen my desire to have a quality education, whether public or private, for my neighbors and their children. Education in general is a gift to society that I want to help open to enrich the lives of our next moms, dads, teachers, workers, and leaders.

Will my life be building a "cathedral" for the community that could last for generations or will that effort pull me away from caring for my future children and other dreams I had to pursue like going to graduate school for social work, continuing to support Church Hill Academy, and helping young mothers. It is worth it? Are they the same efforts? Is living my life "cathedraled for God" displayed in building schools, having relationships with parents and students, and educating our future? I am assured that in both the answer is yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment