Saturday, April 24, 2010

Failing the Next Generation

In response to my last post, I have continued to plow the land. My son is now 9 1/2 months old and one of the joys of my life. Struggling through post-partum depression after giving birth forced my hand to raise a white flag, ask for help, and seek the widsom of others. With medication, friends, and prayer, my post-partum depression is lifting. I feel free to be the mother I always wanted to be with my son and love him with the passion I always imagined that I would.

Plowing the land in my home does not just mean my son. My husband and I have intentionally moved into Church Hill of Richmond, an inner city neighborhood, with other families to simply be neighbors and love those around us. In the years that we have lived here, our lives have been changed. We have been forced to consider our community with every decision that we make about groceries, housing, health and exercise, and most discussed - education. While my son, Henry, is not even walking, I strive to research and plan his education for his well being. I have started a school in Church Hill for the high school participants of CHAT (Church Hill Activities and Tutoring www.chatrichmond.org) and wondered if Henry would one day attend that school.

As many of us know, education is one of the greatest tools in perserving and expanding a culture. Reading is of prime importance if we are to operate as a democratic country. Education is the cornerstone to all advancement of a people, a family, and a person. This is my concern as I stare into my community's bleak educational environment. WIth three public elementary schools in our neighborhood, there would seem to be many options. However, those schools are zoned for 5 out of the 7 housing projects in the city of Richmond. With little parental involvment, low expectations, and lack of preparation, the schools are failing. As a Christian and a lover of this community, I desire to see the education of my son and neighbors to be excellent not only for the sake of knowledge but to know the One who gives all knowledge.

As John Piper wrote....

The issue of earning a living is not nearly so important as whether the next generation has direct access to the meaning of the Word of God. We need an education that puts the highest premium under God on knowing the meaning of God’s Book, and growing in the abilities that will unlock its riches for a lifetime.

Currently, the environment of education in the East End of Richmond is failing our next generation. I want to take responsibility for that and be a part of the movement of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment