Saturday, April 24, 2010

I’d Like to be a Restaurant - June 7, 2006

My favorite sign in Church Hill is actually one of three that is visible throughout the neighborhood. On an empty storefront, the words “I’d Like to be a Restaurant” are painted on the plywood boarded over the doors. “I’d Rather be a Movie Theater” and “I’d like to be a Bookstore” also adorn other abandoned buildings. The wording of these signs is incredibly interesting to me. As if there is a choice to the state of the abandoned buildings. The nearly dilapidated building on the corner would rather be something else. The building would rather be a restaurant, a bookstore, a movie theater. It would rather be filled with people, serving the neighborhood, and making other people happy because of its use value. I think these buildings represent the people of Church Hill as well. The children of CHAT I believe, would rather be on their correct reading level, would rather not repeat their grade twice, would rather not see their friends shot and killed in their early teenage years. They would rather own their house than always searching for rent money. They would rather have health insurance, a job, and a promise of what the future holds. But like the buildings hoping to be something that they’re not, the choice is not always completely theirs to make. Take my friend Shadeshia for example. “I’d like to be a movie star” said exclaimed. Actually, the second time she proclaimed that she “would be a movie star.” “I am going to be famous,” she declared to me without reservation. This second grader makes it clear that her aspirations are real. As obvious as paint on ply board, her wearing of big sunglasses, her model walk, and her overt confidence make it just as clear. But how long have the aspirations been painted on the empty storefronts? Probably as long as Shadeshia has known she wanted to be a movie star. But what are the chances of either happening? Are the choices really for Shadeshia or for the empty buildings to make? I love their underlying dreams. But I have to admit my hesitation in the fruition of their plans, both Shadeshia and the storefronts. I continue to be reminded of statistic after statistic of how a child from the inner city has no chance of “making it.” But directly above the sign wishing to be a restaurant, there is a painted addition of the word “PAITENCE.” This one word is what I needed. It is a sign from God. God is forcing me to believe Him, to trust Him. There is no quick fix here in Church Hill or any inner city neighborhood. I could not open a bookstore, start a restaurant, or run a movie theater in one day, in one afternoon, or one meeting. The same is true of Shadeshia and the other children of CHAT and in the neighborhood. With patience, those empty buildings can change, God can overcome those statistics, and Shadeshia will be a movie star!

No comments:

Post a Comment